In the southwest corner of Market Hill JESUS HOSPITAL, an Elizabethan almshouse can be glimpsed through an impressive archway. It was founded in 1586 by local benefactor Owen Ragsdale for the purpose of accommodating elderly people – a function it serves to this day.
A driveway off Fox Street leads to another of the town’s architectural treasures. The UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, built in 1735, has a simple facade but the interior is in a stunningly sophisticated classical style. The history of Non-Conformity in Rothwell goes back to 1655, making it the birthplace of the movement in the Midlands.