One such building is the delightful MARKET HOUSE on Market Hill, designed by William Grumbold for the somewhat eccentric Sir Thomas Tresham (1545-1605) who was also known as “Thomas the Builder” because of his passion for strange and unusual buildings. As a Catholic at a time of religious persecution, he was to spend long periods in prison for his beliefs. Unable to openly practice his faith, he encoded symbols of it into his buildings. It is no coincidence that Market House is cross shaped. Tresham gifted the building to the town, of which he was Lord of the Manor, but although work started in 1577 it would be 300 years before it was finished by local architect J A Gotch.